What support is available for childcare?

What support is available for childcare?

Current Government policy is that 3 to 4-year-olds in England can get 570 hours of free early education or childcare per year. From September 2017, you may be able to get 30 hours a week of free early education and childcare. Some 2-year-olds are also eligible. To find out more about this please follow this link: https://www.gov.uk/help-with-childcare-costs

Students are expected to secure their Nursery Education Grant prior to applying to the College for childcare funding.

If you are a young parent (under age 20), and meet the eligibility criteria, Care to Learn can help pay for your childcare while you are at College. For further information and to apply go to: https://studentbursarysupport.education.gov.uk

Students who have a total household income of less than £26,000 per year can apply to the relevant College Bursary Fund for support towards childcare costs. Students aged 20+ should apply to the College Discretionary Learner Support Fund. Students age 19+ on a level 3 course, who have been approved for an Advanced Learning Loan, should apply to the Advanced Learning Loan Bursary.

Please note that you must meet the specific eligibility criteria for these funds (see Discretionary Learner Support Fund / Advanced Learning Loan Bursary Guidance).

Please note that submission of an application and/or acceptance of a place on a course does not guarantee childcare funding.

Am I eligible to apply?

To be eligible you must:

  • Have ‘home’ student status or have been granted full ‘refugee’ or ‘asylum seeker’ status.
  • Have been ‘ordinary resident’ in the UK, EU or EEA continuously for the last three years with ‘settled status’ which means having indefinite leave to remain.
  • Be the parent or main carer and be in receipt of Child Benefit for the child/ children.
  • Maintain at least 90% attendance.
  • Have a household income of less than £26,000 per year.
  • Have secured your Nursery Education Grant for childcare funding (see above for details).
  • Have a Childcare provider who is Ofsted registered.

If you received funding in 2017-18 the course you enrol on for 2018-19 must be at least one level higher to be eligible for funding.

If you received funding in 2017-18 and did not complete your course, you are not eligible to receive funding this year until you have re-paid all previous funds received.

How do I apply for childcare?

Register your interest by completing and handling in a  "Childcare Expression of Interest" form. Obtain a course offer from your chosen course. Once you have enrolled for your 2018-19 course at Kingston College you can apply for financial support.

  1. Complete both the Childcare application form, and the relevant Bursary application form, answering all questions in full.
  2. Provide evidence of your household income, identification for your children and details of your childcare provider. Childcare provider must complete a form confirming details.
  3. Return all completed application and supporting evidence to the Student Support Services Team in G75, Student Support Centre, located on the ground floor of Kingston Hall road. (During enrolment period, the Student Support Team are based in the Sports Hall.)

What Happens Next?

Your application will be assessed and we will then email you on your College email address and we will also write to your childcare provider confirming the amount awarded towards childcare costs. If your application is not successful we will email you to notify you of this. It is your responsibility to check your College email account for an update on your application status.

Fully completed application forms with all correct supporting evidence will normally be processed within 10 working days of receipt. However, in September processing time may be longer as most applications are received at this time.

Can I appeal against the College’s decision?

You do have the right to appeal. If you wish to appeal please refer the College appeals process, available on the College website, or contact the Student Support Services Team.

How will childcare be paid?

Depending on how your provider sends invoices (monthly, half-termly, termly) payments will be made once your attendance has been checked. Invoices must be made out to student NOT Kingston College. They can be emailed directly to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. ALL students MUST have an attendance of 90% throughout their course to maintain regular payments. You will be liable for any provider charges should you not maintain 90% attendance.

AOC - Apprenticeships - Teaching Excellence Framework Silver
English UK - British Council Accredited - Ofsted Good Provider
Euro logoqaa logo