Component 1: Voices in Speech and Writing
Open book examination, lasting 2 hours 30 minutes, worth 40% of the total qualification.
- Section A: Comparing Voices - You will study Voices in Speech and Writing: An Anthology, literary and digital texts from the 20th and 21st century.
- Section B: Drama - Alongside the study of the Anthology you will explore the drama text A Streetcar Named Desire
Component 2: Varieties in Language and Literature
Open book examination, lasting 2 hours and 30 minutes worth 40% of the total qualification.
- Section A: Unseen Prose Non-Fiction Texts - You will study a wide range of non-fiction texts on chosen theme, in preparation to responding to an unseen text.
- Section B: Prose Fiction and Other Genres - One comparative essay question based upon the theme of Encounters.
The main texts for study: Wuthering Heights and The Bloody Chamber.
Coursework Components: Investigating and Creating Texts:
Internally assessed and worth 20% of the total qualification.
The study of two texts relating to a chosen topic; one fiction and one non-fiction text.
You will produce two assignments:
- Assignment 1- two pieces of original writing: one piece of fiction and one piece of creative non-fiction writing.
- Assignment 2 - one analytical commentary reflecting on the texts and the pieces of writing produced.
International Entry Requirements
Duration and Delivery
You will want to have your own copies of set texts in order to write your own notes and comments in them; their cost is modest. You will also have the opportunity to take part in theatre visits and conferences that we know will enrich your enjoyment of the subject.
English Language & Literature A Level is taught at Kingston College so is ideal for those based in South West London and Surrey.
A Level Results +Once again Kingston College is extremely proud of our A Level students’ achievements. We have significantly increased the volume of students sitting A Levels by over 30% this year and are pleased with their performance with 8 subjects achieving over 90%. Of particular note are our A level Photography results,… Read More