Validated by the University of West London, this exciting Foundation Degree in Fashion and Textiles is delivered over two years on a full time basis. Students will be introduced to the technical and creative skills they need to function effectively in the industry and will learn to work to a professional level to prepare them for employment. Students also have the option of applying to progress on to the final year of the BA (Hons) Fashion and Textiles at the University of West London (Ealing Campus).
It is anticipated that students will be entering the programme with a range of backgrounds and abilities and year one modules are designed to allow every individual an opportunity to build up their skill base as appropriate. Students will be designing, pattern cutting and manufacturing garments and developing innovative printed and knitted textiles, as well as experimenting with fabric manipulation and embroidery techniques. Students also learn about the history and origins of fabrics and fibres, and how the latest technology in textile design is influencing contemporary designers and the fashion industry.
Year 2 modules allow students to build their professional portfolio of work, and prepare them for higher level study or to enter employment in the industry. Students will undertake a live collaborative project in which they will face the challenge of working in a design team to an industry-set brief and presenting ideas to industry professionals. Creative and practical studies are strongly underpinned by professional development, fashion and cultural studies, to reinforce the relationship between theory and practice in both the market place and the cultural context of fashion and textiles design.
The course is delivered through a series of modules:-
• Pattern Cutting and Garment Manufacture
• Professional Studies in Fashion
• Visual Communication for the Fashion Industry
• Creative Textile Techniques and Processes
• Design Exploration and Realisation
• Technological Textiles
• Creating Design Solutions
• Specialist Studies: Experimental Textiles, Printed Textiles and Knitted Textiles
• Fashion and Cultural Studies
• Professional and Portfolio Development
• Collaborative Live Project – Design
• Collaborative Live Project – Realisation
The award is made upon the accumulation of 240 credits from the units studied, 120 credits for each year of study.
- Foundation Diploma in Art and Design,
- BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Fashion and Clothing,
- BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Art and Design,
- 12 unit Vocational A Level in Art and Design at Grades D-E
- or 160 UCAS points from A2 Level qualifications, plus four GCSEs at grades A-C to include English Language or equivalent.
We will consider a range of alternative qualifications or experience equivalent to those listed above.
Applications from International students with equivalent qualificiations and IELTS 6 are welcome.
We look for enthusiasm and creativity, together with with a willingness to learn and to engage with others. You will need to submit a portfolio demonstrating your creative skills and abilities and have a successful interview. Your portfolio should show examples of sketchbooks, research and drawings, which demonstrate good use of colour, mixed with media and the development of ideas.
Duration and Delivery
Upon successful completion of the Foundation Degree there will be the opportunity to transfer onto the BA (Hons) Fashion and Textiles Degree at the University of West London (Ealing Campus).
Applications for this course are made through UCAS.
Tuition Fees 2017-2018:
Home/EU students - £6150 / International Students - £9500
Fees quoted are per year of study.
Tuition fees for subsequent years of study are subject to confirmation and may change. They are likely to increase in line with inflation each year.
- Awarding Body: University of West London
- Location: Creative Industries Centre
- Institution Code: K83
- Course Code: W230