This course is intended for candidates who want to learn and practise a range of counselling skills, either for personal or professional reasons. Counselling can be applied to a wide variety of situations and are highly relevant to a range of occupations and professions where interpersonal skills are important. This would include people working in teaching, in the caring professions or in organisations where client and customer service is important. Counselling skills can be equally valuable in personal, family and social situations. For many, this will be the first step towards becoming a counselling practitioner.
Course ContentThe course aims to:
- Increase the understanding of the counselling process and the skills involved
- Achieve competency in using a defined range of counselling skills
- Develop sensitivity and awareness about the process of change and growth
- Give understanding on the importance of using counselling skills ethically and within the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy's (BCAP) Ethical Framework for Counselling and Psychotherapy
- Introduce students to the major approaches to counselling and their philosophical and practical assumptions about the nature of humankind
- Relate learning to students' own roles and work settings
Assessment includes a learning journal (ongoing), a practical assessment of skills and an external exam (1 hour)
Entry RequirementsNo formal qualifications are required. Applicants will be invited to a group meeting and brief interview. Some candidates, however, may have attended a short introductory course to counselling prior to applying for the Level 2 Certificate.
Duration and DeliveryDuration of this course is part-time, with a day time intensive option and an evening option, both options to include 2 Saturdays. The next course start dates are:
- Day-Time option - Start date 24 February 2020 - Tuesdays 9.30am-2.30pm over 18 weeks (term-time only)
- Evening option - September 2020 start (day TBC) - Thursdays 6.30pm-9.30pm over 24 weeks (term-time only).
ProgressionSuccessful completion of this course would prove valuable to anyone considering applying for the NCFE Level 3 Award in Counselling Skills, or the or BA Hons. in Integrative-Relational Counselling.
Apply NowApply Now
Kingston College Awarded Silver by Teaching Excellence Framework +
Kingston College is delighted to announce that it has been awarded ‘Silver’ by the government’s new Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) in recognition of its high quality teaching, learning and outcomes for its higher education students. The TEF Panel judged: “the higher education provider, Kingston College, delivers high quality teaching,… Read More