The qualification has mandatory and optional units.
The mandatory units cover:
- Electrical installation design
- Environmental technology systems
- Electrical installation craft
- Inspection, testing, commissioning
- Diagnosing and correcting electrical faults.
- Electrical science and principles
The optional units cover:
- Overseeing and organising the work environment
- Requirements of BS7671:2008 (2011)
- Requirements to install, commission and handover small scale solar photovoltaic systems
- In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment PAT
The qualification also has integral health and safety in some of the units applicable to the topic being studied.
How is the qualification assessed?
The assessment involves on-screen examinations, practical assessments and theory assignments.
Level 2 Electrical Installation (essential)
All suitable applicants will be required to have a formal interview and submit a satisfactory reference and attendance record..
Duration and Delivery
On successful achievement of this qualification, students may progress into employment or onto further study. Progression routes can include:
EAL Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Installing Electrotechnical Systems and Equipment (Building, Structures and Environment) (QCF)
EAL Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Electrotechnical Services (Maintaining Electrotechnical Systems) (QCF)
EAL Level 3 Certificate in Installing, Testing and Ensuring Compliance of Electrical Installations in Dwellings (QCF)
EAL Level 3 Award in Approving Electrical Installation Work in Dwellings in Compliance with Building Regulations (QCF)
EAL Level 3 Award in the Initial verification and Certification of Electrical Installation (QCF)
EAL Level 3 Award in the Periodic Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations (QCF).