On the ESOL Horizons Level 1 course all students study the same core set of qualifications. These are:
- Trinity ESOL Skills for Life - Level 1
- A weekly group tutorial
- 9-1 GCSE in Citizenship Studies
- If students have not achieved a grade 4C in GCSE maths they will be required to study maths at the appropriate level.
- There is an option for some students to study one additional GCSE from the following options: GCSE Business Studies; GCSE Biology; GCSE Chemistry; GCSE Film Studies; GCSE History, GCSE Media Studies, GCSE Sociology, GCSE Photography, GCSE Physics and GCSE Geography.
- The Trinity ESOL Skills for Life course is assessed by three exams: a speaking exam, a reading exam and a writing exam. The other qualifications are assessed by written exams at the end of the academic year.
Duration and Delivery
Find out here what our students are saying about the ESOL Course at Kingston College.
"Completing the ESOL Horizons course at Kingston College was one of the best things I have done! I was able to go straight onto the BTEC Level 3 IT programme at the College which I completed successfully. This way I got to where I am now - a City University student and a successful IT assistant at a luxury travel company in London".
Dorian Olesinski from Poland
"When I first came to this country I knew very little English and didn’t have any friends so I enrolled on the ESOL Horizons Entry Level 2 course at Kingston College. The course was excellent and the teachers were very supportive and friendly.
I then successfully moved up to ESOL Entry 3 followed by ESOL Level 1 and GCSE Chemistry and maths. By that time I was feeling much more confident and settled and my English was really coming up!
After finishing ESOL I had the skills and knowledge to progress onto BTEC Extended Diploma in Science which was very demanding and challenging but with hard work and determination I completed the course.
I am very proud to say that I am now at university studying Aerospace Engineering which I love and it has always been my dream. This is just to show how important ESOL was in my life and I will be eternally grateful to Kingston College".
Ali Albeyatti from Iraq
ADULT ESOL END OF YEAR CELEBRATION +On Monday 1 July, over 260 Adult ESOL learners attended their end of year ceremony in the College’s very own Arthur Cotterell Theatre. We were delighted to welcome former Mayor, Councillor Thay Thayalan and former Mayoress, Mrs Lata Thayalan, together with former Deputy Mayor, Councillor Olivia Boult. Read More
- Part Time EFL - English as a Foreign Language: Daytime (6 hours a week) or Evening (4 hours a week) (18 years and above)
- Full Time EFL - English as a Foreign Language - 15 Hours a week (18 years and above)
- ESOL Skills for Life (19yrs and over)
- ESOL Horizons Level 1 (16yrs – 19yrs)
- ESOL Horizons Entry Level 3 (16yrs – 19yrs)