Coronavirus (COVID-19) information
Kingston College continues to welcome applications for the 2020-21 academic year via UCAS.
Interviews and portfolio reviews will be conducted online via Skype (free to download), and applicants are encouraged to set up Skype accounts in preparation for this.
- For tips on submitting your portfolio digitally, see our Portfolio Pointers page.
- For advice on online interviews, check out our Online Interview Tips page.
September 2020 delivery
It is anticipated that delivery for this course in September will be through a blended approach consisting of some face to face delivery and some online delivery. Following the lead of industry practice, lecturers will facilitate students in creating performance and artwork in a range of live and digital performance platforms. As professionals adjust their own practice, taking on board external factors; our practitioners teaching on our BA programmes will guide students to be creatively responsive. We will continue to be guided by the Department of Education and University of West London guidelines. Our class sizes are typically small which is beneficial in adhering to social distancing measures and keeping our students and staff safe. We aim to move to full face-to-face delivery as soon as Government guidelines allow us to do so safely.
The course is delivered through a series of modules:-
• Pattern Cutting and Garment Manufacture
• Professional Studies in Fashion
• Visual Communication for the Fashion Industry
• Creative Textile Techniques and Processes
• Design Exploration and Realisation
• Technological Textiles
• Creating Design Solutions
• Specialist Studies: Experimental Textiles, Printed Textiles and Knitted Textiles
• Fashion and Cultural Studies
• Professional and Portfolio Development
• Collaborative Live Project – Design
• Collaborative Live Project – Realisation
The award is made upon the accumulation of 240 credits from the units studied, 120 credits for each year of study.
- Foundation Diploma in Art and Design,
- BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Fashion and Clothing,
- BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Art and Design,
- 12 unit Vocational A Level in Art and Design at Grades D-E
- or 64 UCAS points from A2 Level qualifications, plus four GCSEs at grades A-C to include English Language or equivalent.
We will consider a range of alternative qualifications or experience equivalent to those listed above.
Applications from International students with equivalent qualificiations and IELTS 6 are welcome.
We look for enthusiasm and creativity, together with with a willingness to learn and to engage with others. You will need to submit a portfolio demonstrating your creative skills and abilities and have a successful interview. Your portfolio should show examples of sketchbooks, research and drawings, which demonstrate good use of colour, mixed with media and the development of ideas.
Duration and Delivery
Careers in Fashion & Textiles are still as large as the industry is being worth £32billion and the second largest employer in the UK.
We prepare students for:-
- Womenswear Designer
- Menswear Designer
- Androgynous/Gender Neutral Markets
- Fashion Knitwear Designer
- Craft Knitwear Practitioner
- Printed Textiles Designer
- Woven Textiles Designer
- Textiles Artist
- Pattern Cutter/Sample maker
- Fashion & Textiles Technician
- Fashion Illustrator
- Fashion Stylist
- Fashion Blogger/Instagram Influencer
Applications for this course are made through UCAS.
Tuition Fees 2020-21:
Home/EU students - £6,350 / International Students - £9,500
Fees quoted are per year of study.
Tuition fees for subsequent years of study are subject to confirmation and may change. They are likely to increase in line with inflation each year.
- Awarding Body: University of West London
- Location: Creative Industries Centre
- Institution Code: K82
- Course Code: KC09
Follow us on Instagram KINGSTONCOLLEGEFASHIONTEXTILES