• Functional Skills (English and Mathematics) at Level 2.
• VRQ: (Technical Certificate) Health and Safety. Technology and workshop tasks.
• NVQ/VCQ: Practical tasks at work. (Job Cards) Diagnosing and Rectifying Faults.
Candidates are assessed during practical 'on the job' or simulated situations, evidence of which must be shown in the form of a portfolio. Assessment will be continuous and students are required to demonstrate competency in a variety of tasks. Functional Skills will be assessed by examination and VRQ by online multi-choice examinations.
Duration and Delivery
This course is delivered at our Kingston Hall Road centre and work-based locations.
Information for Employers
How can taking on an Apprentice help your business?
The Apprenticeship framework is designed to meet the needs of employers and to provide a vocational pathway into a profession. Intermediate level apprentices will train in roles appropriate to their chosen profession, learning on the job practical skills working at a business four days and attending college one day each week. The duration of an apprenticeship course is a minimum of 12 months.
All Apprenticeship frameworks are designed to provide apprentices with the knowledge, skills and understanding they need to perform their job role and to support their future progressions. Apprenticeships are an ideal way to help your business harness fresh new talent.
What do you need to know?
Apprenticeships can be suitable for either a new employee or an existing member of staff. They typically involve four days a week on the job training and one day a week at college. You will be responsible for the apprentice’s wages which, from October 2015, will be £132 per week.
What qualifications do we offer?
An Apprenticeship consists of:
- An appropriate-level Knowledge Certificate (usually level 2 or level 3).
- An NVQ practical qualification (usually level 2 or level 3).
- Functional Skills qualification (if the candidate has not previously achieved a GCSE grade C in English and Maths).
- Employee Rights & Responsibilities
- Personal learning and thinking skills
We can help you by
- Explaining the way Apprenticeships work
- Providing a dedicated assessor to perform workplace assessments
- Supporting your new and existing staff into Apprenticeships, subject to eligibility
- Providing a free recruitment service to help you find the right apprentice for your organisation
- Facilitating your application for the Employer Grant.
16-18 year olds are fully funded by the College
For those aged 19+ an Employer Contribution will be required
An Employer Grant of £1,500 is available for those eligible.
Apprenticeship Awards Evening +
On 26 June 2019, our Engineering apprentices exchanged their overalls for evening attire at a Presentation Evening where individuals were recognised for their work ethic, focus and overall effort. We were delighted to welcome guest speaker Glyn Moorshead, Engineering Training Manager at Heathrow Airport Holdings Limited (HAL). Before… Read More
Apprenticeship Awards Evening +On 26 June 2019, our Engineering apprentices exchanged their overalls for evening attire at a Presentation Evening where individuals were recognised for their work ethic, focus and overall effort. We were delighted to welcome guest speaker Glyn Moorshead, Engineering Training Manager at Heathrow Airport Holdings Limited (HAL). Before… Read More
- BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Engineering (90 credit)
- BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Engineering (180 credit)
- Pearson BTEC Level 4 HNC Engineering (Electrical and Electronic Engineering)
- Pearson BTEC Level 4 HNC Engineering (Mechanical Engineering)
- Advanced Apprenticeship in Engineering, Electro-Mechanical Maintenance, Design or Manufacture